We are seeking a vice president who is both business and tech savvy, has a big-picture vision, and possesses the drive to make that vision a reality. Operating in an Agile/Scrum model, you’ll be leading a team of technologists responsible for digitizing internal operations and working with internal business partners and strategic vendors. As a champion for internal business and client service needs, you will be responsible for balancing trade-offs between technological feasibility, customer experience, and customer needs through active management of a technology road map and backlog.
Reporting to the chief information officer, the vice president of application solutions and support will lead a team of product owners, business system analysts, scrum masters, application/integration engineers, database administrators, and quality assurance/release management engineers. Building strong business relationships to drive transformation initiatives and deliver on tactical enhancements to custom-built applications and cloud/platform solutions will be key. As a leader, you will support technology and data strategy, delivery, and execution; enable cross-functional synergies across technology groups; and manage strategic relationships.
- Developing and maintaining an application solutions organization that ensures skills and capacity for project and enhancement work while providing support for production applications
- Partnering with business leaders to develop and implement application solutions and create opportunities to optimize and drive operational efficiencies across the firm
- Coordinating with business leaders and corporate strategy to develop and implement an IT portfolio based on corporate business objectives; holding direct reports accountable for delivering on the portfolio
- Overseeing IT application solution design, data, and integration needs, as well as quality criteria to ensure that business technology needs are best met
- Ensuring that the Application Development area uses best practices and processes for implementing custom-developed and packaged solutions
- Providing executive oversight for strategic vendor and partner relationship management
- Maintaining knowledge of key business processes supported by our applications and technology and ensuring that business area requests for application development services are understood, prioritized, and addressed
- Leveraging an ideation lab to foster team innovation and develop innovative solutions to specific business challenges
- Participating in the assessment of external and internal technology capabilities required to achieve operational efficiency and deliver a superior customer experience
- Keeping abreast of new technologies and platforms, including ML and AI, and providing direction on what emerging technologies should be assimilated and integrated into the environment; advising business leaders on exploiting new technologies
- Overseeing the security, integrity, and availability of enterprise data
- Managing the development of appropriate governance frameworks and mechanisms for the effective use of information and technology to create value and manage risk
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in information technology, computer science, or related field
- 10+ years of management experience
- Strong management experience with .NET/SQL, Java, web solutions, MS Azure, on-premise and/or cloud/hybrid data systems
- Experience managing large-scale product implementations, such as corporate administration systems and digital transformation programs
- Experience negotiating, contracting, and managing vendor relationships
- Extensive experience in Agile/Scrum development processes
- Experience with both custom application software development and packaged software implementations
- Excellent analytical, strategic, and conceptual thinking and consulting skills
- Ability to effectively drive people, process, and technology change in a dynamic and complex operating environment
- Strong negotiating skills
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, determine appropriate actions, and complete projects with little direction
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and thrive in a multi-project environment, while ensuring that production systems are up and performing well
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Financial services background a plus
Have we piqued your curiosity? Can you see yourself thriving in this opportunity? Let’s introduce ourselves.
About Commonwealth—and Our Anything but Common® Culture
Commonwealth Financial Network® is the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker/dealer in the U.S., with offices in Waltham, Massachusetts, and San Diego, California. Since 1979, we’ve been delivering indispensable service to independent financial professionals so they, in turn, can put their clients first. Our technology, research, resources, and support—plus a variety of affiliation models—deliver what today’s independent advisors need to thrive.
That being said, we are a financial services company with a unique mission—one that encompasses purpose, vision, and core values in equal measure. Staying true to these guiding principles is the reason we are recognized so often and by so many for the quality of life we enjoy here. We believe it directly translates to a better experience for everyone: employees, advisors, clients, and our communities.
Creating a supportive culture where everyone can thrive is a mission we take seriously. From professional development to comprehensive benefits, grassroots leadership opportunities, generous bonus and stock option incentive plans, opportunities to unwind and connect, and so much more, Commonwealth is not just a great place to work—it’s a place that, for many, feels like home.
Commonwealth Financial Network® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.