As a director of software quality assurance and release engineering, you will be responsible for managing Software Quality Assurance teams and processes to support manual and automated testing of the software solutions, as well as the consistent release management of solutions across the enterprise. This includes leading and growing the Software Quality Assurance teams in designing and implementing best practices and tooling for testing including unit, functional, integration, system, and regression using both manual and automated processes.
You will recommend analytical and technical testing techniques and provide software-testing information, upon which management can make informed quality decisions about an application under test. In addition, you will be responsible for the deployment processes (including continuous integration), systems reliability reporting, configuration management, and the deployment of solutions.
- Providing strategic leadership, management, and direction to the Software Quality Assurance and Release Engineering teams
- Assisting and directing the design and implementation of test strategies, plans, scenarios, scripts, and procedures using industry standard testing methodologies or processes
- Designing and systematizing QA and DevOps performance metrics, processes, and tools
- Overseeing, managing, coordinating, and prioritizing the daily activities of the Software Quality Assurance and Release Management teams and working closely with the Application Development, Data Architecture, and Product Management teams (and possibly third-party vendor teams) to ensure coverage and consistency in testing
- Promoting and implementing automation testing capabilities throughout the entire solution development life cycle including, functional, integration, performance, scale, and stress testing
- Managing and improving build processes, tools, and release automation to increase reliability, predictability, and manageability of deployed solutions
- Developing standard processes to document software defects using a defect tracking system and regularly triaging defects; developing tools and reports to monitor defect resolution efforts and track successes
- Developing templates for testing artifacts, including test plans, test cases, test execution, and summary reports to ensure repeatability and compliance with standards
- Planning test schedules or strategies in accordance with project scope or delivery dates; prioritizing work with general direction/minimal supervision
- Overseeing, participating in, and approving the interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of employees; conducting performance evaluations for direct reports and assisting them with performance evaluation process for their teams
- Comfortable providing recommendations and identifying risks and mitigation plans
- Ability to manage testing activities and develop creative strategies for test execution
- Experience implementing an automation testing strategy from the ground up
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and facilitate work, including proven ability to use resources effectively and efficiently
- Good working knowledge of enterprise application testing
- Willingness to be hands-on in all aspects of testing (e.g., manually executing test cases, developing automated test scripts, etc.)
- Excellent communication, organization, and documentation skills
- A strong understanding of SDLC tools and processes, including source control, release control, change control, and automated build solutions
- Excellent problem-solving and organization skills
- A customer-first mindset and ability to communicate complex technical concepts with individuals across varying levels and functions of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions
- Comfortable working within Agile methodologies
- Strong multitasking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a collaborative team environment
Additional skills and knowledge
- 10+ years testing and release management experience
- 8+ years of management and leadership experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related field
Have we piqued your curiosity? Can you see yourself thriving in this opportunity? Let’s introduce ourselves.
About Commonwealth—and Our Anything but Common® Culture
Commonwealth Financial Network® is the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker/dealer in the U.S., with offices in Waltham, Massachusetts, and San Diego, California. Since 1979, we’ve been delivering indispensable service to independent financial professionals so they, in turn, can put their clients first. Our technology, research, resources, and support—plus a variety of affiliation models—deliver what today’s independent advisors need to thrive.
That being said, we are a financial services company with a unique mission—one that encompasses purpose, vision, and core values in equal measure. Staying true to these guiding principles is the reason we are recognized so often and by so many for the quality of life we enjoy here. We believe it directly translates to a better experience for everyone: employees, advisors, clients, and our communities.
Creating a supportive culture where everyone can thrive is a mission we take seriously. From professional development to comprehensive benefits, grassroots leadership opportunities, generous bonus and stock option incentive plans, opportunities to unwind and connect, and so much more, Commonwealth is not just a great place to work—it’s a place that, for many, feels like home.
Commonwealth Financial Network® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.