Are you comfortable traversing complex and interdependent data ecosystems? Does working within a hybrid on-prem cloud environment and establishing a cloud data road map sound exciting? We are looking for an experienced data architect who wants to work collaboratively with IT and business teams to provide strategic direction—and technical expertise—to meet the data architecture needs of a growing financial services company.
As the director of data architecture and business intelligence on the application solutions team, you will develop a strategy to improve the value of analytical data, improve effectiveness of information stewardship, and streamline the flow of data within the organization and to our clients. Our ideal candidate is someone who brings comprehensive data architecture experience and who is eager to rapidly develop his or her skill set.
- Leading the data design of solutions for large projects and programs; through expert knowledge, translating high-level business requirements into data models and appropriate metadata, test data, and data quality standards
- Providing clear, continuous, and consistent data architecture leadership at a detailed level within projects
- Working with IT teams, business systems analysts, and data analytics teams to understand data consumers’ needs to develop solutions
- Developing advanced database and warehousing designs across multiple platforms and computing environments
- Planning, designing, and developing migration plans from on-premise to cloud (Azure) SQL databases
- Developing conceptual, logical, and physical data models to support data analysis and business intelligence
- Devising strategies for data warehouse implementation, data acquisition and access, and data archiving and recovery
- Defining and managing standards, guidelines, and processes to ensure data quality
- Directing specialist teams to undertake the delivery of a comprehensive data-centric project
- Managing senior business stakeholders to secure strong engagement for the solution and ensure that the delivery of the project aligns to longer-term strategic roadmaps
- Leading and participating in the peer review and quality assurance of project architectural data artifacts; reporting key architecture decisions and implications to the architectural governance forums
- Participating from time to time in the supplier selection process, evaluating usefulness and cost of products and making appropriate recommendations
- Evaluating and recommending emerging technologies for data management, storage, and analytics
- Developing and modifying stored procedures to solve complex database design problems, including performance, scalability, security, and integration issues
- Implementing data security and protection features
- 10+ years of experience in implementing data warehousing, data modeling, and/or data analysis tools
- 10+ years of IT experience with direct responsibility for strategy formulation and/or business analytics, database management, data analytics, data integration, and database development
- 3+ years of experience in the financial services industry
- Experience in leading and defining data strategy, technology standards/best practices, and data governance process for the organization
- Hands-on experience with database technologies and visualization tools (e.g., SQL, NoSQL, Oracle, Hadoop, Teradata, Power BI)
- Ability to relate architectural decisions and recommendations to business needs
- Experience with ETL and other business intelligence tools
- Experience leading data engineering teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and work with diverse project teams
- Entity relationship modeling, metadata systems, and data quality tools and techniques
- Practiced with database and program code performance tuning
- Experience and knowledge in migrating code, database changes, and data sets through the various stages of the development life cycle
- Comprehensive knowledge of SQL database technologies
- Coding and system skills to maintain SQL databases, SSIS, SSRS, packages, SQL Agent jobs, stored procedures, and linked servers
- Proficiency in the following scripting/languages: T-SQL, C#, SSMS, SSIS, and SSRS
- Experience with database task automation to support CI/CD process
- Comfortable working within Agile methodologies; Experience with Team Foundation Server (TFS) preferred
- Strong multitasking skills
- Comfortable working in a collaborative team environment
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field
Have we piqued your curiosity? Can you see yourself thriving in this opportunity? Let’s introduce ourselves.
About Commonwealth—and Our Anything but Common® Culture
Commonwealth Financial Network® is the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker/dealer in the U.S., with offices in Waltham, Massachusetts, and San Diego, California. Since 1979, we’ve been delivering indispensable service to independent financial professionals so they, in turn, can put their clients first. Our technology, research, resources, and support—plus a variety of affiliation models—deliver what today’s independent advisors need to thrive.
That being said, we are a financial services company with a unique mission—one that encompasses purpose, vision, and core values in equal measure. Staying true to these guiding principles is the reason we are recognized so often and by so many for the quality of life we enjoy here. We believe it directly translates to a better experience for everyone: employees, advisors, clients, and our communities.
Creating a supportive culture where everyone can thrive is a mission we take seriously. From professional development to comprehensive benefits, grassroots leadership opportunities, generous bonus and stock option incentive plans, opportunities to unwind and connect, and so much more, Commonwealth is not just a great place to work—it’s a place that, for many, feels like home.
Commonwealth Financial Network® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.