In this role, you will identify strategic and competitive threats, support the development of Commonwealth’s long-range planning, help define and prioritize firm-wide initiatives, and develop new frameworks and processes that will be deployed throughout the firm. You will work directly with senior leadership to help solve the firm’s most complex issues, as well as with teams across the company to help build a collective strategic mind-set and impart relevant tools and skill sets. While this role will require you to roll up your sleeves and get tactical, you will also enable thought leadership and at times be a thought leader for the firm with regard to processes, competitive threats, and the industry.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be an integral part of developing and growing Commonwealth’s nascent strategy function within the broader context of an established, innovative financial services firm. Business consulting experience is a must, as are exceptional communication, project management, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
- Working with senior leadership to help identify and solve the biggest problems facing the firm and the industry
- Liaising with function leaders to help increase efficiency and effectiveness across functions
- Collaborating with others to develop and foster a culture of process-driven thinking throughout the organization
- Leading ongoing 5-year planning, competitive assessments, SWOT analyses, and other relevant strategic assessments
- Understanding the firm’s existing and potential primary markets (intermediary and direct-to-consumer wealth management) and uncovering growth opportunities
- Supporting the transformation of strategic initiatives into defined business plans and ensuring that business units are aligned with the overall strategic direction
- Identifying relationships with potential strategic partners within and outside the firm
- Performing quantitative and qualitative analyses to inform business decisions
- Assessing processes to determine how to minimize rework and improve quality, efficiency, and ability to meet client requirements
- Demonstrating a deep understanding of industry landscapes within the context of global, economic, technological, demographic, and social trends
- Providing thought leadership and nurturing long-term partnerships to help form opportunities in alignment with our overall business strategy
- Developing models for various scenarios, such as new products or services, consumer segmentation, breadth and depth of existing and potential markets, capital expenditures, and product pricing
- MBA preferred, with 3–5 years of business consulting experience
- Preferred areas of experience include strategy or management consulting, technology platforms, finance, wealth management, corporate development, or private equity and venture capital
- Deep analytical skills and exceptionally strong problem-solving skills; an excellent decision maker who’s able to see patterns and think quickly
- Outstanding interpersonal, presentation, and writing skills, including the ability to interact with all levels within and outside of the organization
- Ability to effectively tailor communications for different groups and stakeholders
- Superior project management skills with impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to break down complex transactions into their fundamental components and develop business cases to support recommended actions
- Demonstrated success as a partner with project teams and as an individual contributor, while managing multiple priorities and commitments seamlessly
- Background in or understanding of the financial or financial technology industry (including companies such as Charles Schwab, State Street, Wealthfront, Betterment, Bank of America, and Merrill Lynch) a plus
Have we piqued your curiosity? Can you see yourself thriving in this opportunity? Let’s introduce ourselves.
About Commonwealth—and Our Anything but Common® Culture
Commonwealth Financial Network® is the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker/dealer in the U.S., with offices in Waltham, Massachusetts, and San Diego, California. Since 1979, we’ve been delivering indispensable service to independent financial professionals so they, in turn, can put their clients first. Our technology, research, resources, and support—plus a variety of affiliation models—deliver what today’s independent advisors need to thrive.
That being said, we are a financial services company with a unique mission—one that encompasses purpose, vision, and core values in equal measure. Staying true to these guiding principles is the reason we are recognized so often and by so many for the quality of life we enjoy here. We believe it directly translates to a better experience for everyone: employees, advisors, clients, and our communities.
Creating a supportive culture where everyone can thrive is a mission we take seriously. From professional development to comprehensive benefits, grassroots leadership opportunities, generous bonus and stock option incentive plans, opportunities to unwind and connect, and so much more, Commonwealth is not just a great place to work—it’s a place that, for many, feels like home.
Commonwealth Financial Network® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.