Do you crave a challenge? Do you have extensive experience leading teams and information technology projects? As the vice president of IT infrastructure, you will be in a mission-critical role, leading Commonwealth’s migration from outsourced, on-premise infrastructure to the latest cloud-based technologies while being a strategic partner with executive leadership.
Reporting to the senior vice president, information technology, you will be responsible for operational and service management processes to ensure that we meet quality, efficiency, and agility goals. Using your advanced experience and skills with cloud technology, strategy, establishing road maps, and governance, you will lead our technology through vital infrastructure improvements.
- Defining the strategy and executing the road map for the migration of Commonwealth’s applications and infrastructure to cloud technology
- Serving as a strategic thought leader; overseeing cloud infrastructure and outsourced managed services providers
- Ensuring reliable 24/7 operations in partnership with managed services provider by defining IT infrastructure architecture, as well as standards to include disaster recovery, security, storage, servers, monitoring, performance, and back-office systems
- Setting the mission and vision of the infrastructure organization to foster a business-oriented mind-set, driven by continual service improvements
- Building and maintaining relationships with IT leaders and business executives to develop a clear understanding of business needs, ensuring cost-effective delivery of IT services to meet those needs, and responding with agility to changing business priorities.
- Developing and controlling the annual operating and capital expenditure budget for infrastructure to ensure consistency with overall strategic objectives
- Participating in the assessment of external and internal technology capabilities required to achieve desired competitive positioning
- Staying up to date on emerging technologies; providing direction on which new technologies should be assimilated, integrated, and introduced
- Directing the development of infrastructure sourcing strategy and providing executive oversight for strategic vendor and partner relationship management
- Forecasting skill needs to acquire and develop workforce with business knowledge, technical skills, and competencies
- Serving on IT planning and policymaking committees; driving the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes, and performance metrics to ensure technology delivers value to the enterprise
- Exceptional leadership skills; ability to develop and communicate an infrastructure vision that inspires and motivates staff
- Ability to instill confidence in the business and demonstrate the business value of IT
- Effective influencing and negotiating skills when working with vendors
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning, and execution skills
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management
- Deep understanding of current and emerging cloud-based technologies, including how other enterprises are employing them
- Success in leveraging traditional best practices, such as IT service management practices based on ITIL, as well as DevOps that are optimized for agility
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic people plan, ensuring that employees are highly engaged and satisfied
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to business leaders and business concepts to the infrastructure team
Additional skills and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems management, or equivalent experience
- 7–10 years of infrastructure technology leadership in a highly regulated industry (financial services experience a plus)
- 15+ years of infrastructure experience
- Experience with Microsoft, Cisco, Azure, and Office 365
- Extensive knowledge of running and maintaining cloud-based and hybrid services, as well as compute, storage, and databases
- Proven experience or demonstrated capability in leading IT transformational initiatives in complex and dynamic environments
- Extensive knowledge managing outsourced service providers
- Exceptional understanding of ITIL frameworks and lean principles
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, organization design, and development
- Experience in DevOps and DevSecOps; a proven track record of leading a team to transform the efforts of an engineering organization
Have we piqued your curiosity? Can you see yourself thriving in this opportunity? Let’s introduce ourselves.
About Commonwealth—and Our Anything but Common® Culture
Commonwealth Financial Network® is the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker/dealer in the U.S., with offices in Waltham, Massachusetts, and San Diego, California. Since 1979, we’ve been delivering indispensable service to independent financial professionals so they, in turn, can put their clients first. Our technology, research, resources, and support—plus a variety of affiliation models—deliver what today’s independent advisors need to thrive.
That being said, we are a financial services company with a unique mission—one that encompasses purpose, vision, and core values in equal measure. Staying true to these guiding principles is the reason we are recognized so often and by so many for the quality of life we enjoy here. We believe it directly translates to a better experience for everyone: employees, advisors, clients, and our communities.
Creating a supportive culture where everyone can thrive is a mission we take seriously. From professional development to comprehensive benefits, grassroots leadership opportunities, generous bonus and stock option incentive plans, opportunities to unwind and connect, and so much more, Commonwealth is not just a great place to work—it’s a place that, for many, feels like home.
We care about your online safety as a prospective employee and encourage you to exercise caution when responding to job postings online. Commonwealth Financial Network® will never ask potential hiring candidates to pay or transfer funds as a precondition of interviews or employment, nor will we authorize recruiters or agents to do so on our behalf.
Commonwealth Financial Network® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.